By being able to craft just about every element of the song, including lyrics and multiple instrumental layers, Anvil Studio makes it almost too easy to compose songs. Its interface isn’t very attractive, but with great user guidance and a wealth of features, it’s an awesome app for any musician.
Despite being loaded with features, this program downloads really quickly and is light by most standards. Anvil Studio has a great tutorial that opens when you get inside. It’s helpful for finding all of the program’s cool features, but it doesn’t make you click through endless pages before you can get started. Starting your composition is as easy as clicking a few notes on the keyboard. Once they’re on the staff, you can move them, draw lyrics over them and even make them harmonize with other notes. There are more than 40 instruments to use and each one can be layered over other sounds so you can get a better idea of what the finished product will sound like. If you don’t know a ton about music theory, you might feel a little overwhelmed at the amount of options. Though the program’s interface is stuck in the XP era, it makes it easy to surf through the vast number of features and tweaks this program offers.
Having more features than you can use in a sitting is a really good problem to have. No matter what your level of expertise, Anvil Studio offers a wonderful tool to help you compose music. It’s a great learning resource, as well.
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 2017.03.02
- Added options to the menu Edit / Change Volume or Pitch, Move or Delete notes that allow you to change Enharmonic and stem direction properties for all notes of a given pitch.
- Changed Note Properties window so that you can directly edit the time of an event.
- It now works properly when Anvil Studio exits while the screen is minimized or maximized.
- In previous versions, changing the Time or Key signatures at time 0 caused all following Time or Key signatures to be deleted. Now, it prompts to ask if this is what you want done.
- When you press CTRL while mouse is over a notehead to shift its start time, more info about the note is displayed.
- Fixed problems: Setting View / Options / Font could cause “Invalid Property” error to occur.