Taking a slightly different approach to solving the multimedia lover’s dilemma of how best to download torrents is BitComet, which uses an interface heavily cribbed from Windows Explorer–with a dose or two from the basic BitTorrent template–to create something instantly recognizable to the user.
There’s a familiar tree of features on the left, including links to torrent-aggregating Web sites and several promotional offers. The top of the app has big buttons with familiar icons, the center window shows the files being downloaded, and the bottom pane has tracker and peer info. The pane on the right rounds out the layout, with a torrent search feature and advertising. Among the usual features, BitComet offers chat capabilities, the ability to bookmark your favorite sites, a toolbar for Internet Explorer 7, and a context menu for Firefox 2.
While the app held its own against better-known competitors in terms of speed and handling multiple torrents, we found the ubiquitous advertisements to be annoying compared to the competition’s ad-free environs. Overall, we think BitComet is worth trying and could become a major torrent app in the future.
WHAT’S NEW IN VERSION 1.49
- GUI Improved: improve context menu of Torrent History list, Torrent Share list and Torrent Collection list
- GUI Improved: add Transmission to allowed client list in Option window
- GUI Improved: improve support for high-DPI monitor
- GUI Bugfix: order disordered when collapse or expand sorted file list of BitTorrent task
- GUI Bugfix: when open directory of a file in sub-directory from the file list of BitTorrent task, incorrect directory opened
- Core Improve: update BitTorrent client identification code
- Core Improve: decrease piece_part file size for BitTorrent task with only part files selected to download
BitComet is a fast and easy-to-use BitTorrent/HTTP/FTP download client. It is P2P file-sharing freeware and one of the most popular P2P protocols designed for high-speed distribution. BitComet supports simultaneous downloads, DHT networks (trackerless), a download queue, selected downloads in the Torrent package, fast-resume, disk caching, speed limits, auto port mapping, proxies, and IP filtering.